View Single Post
      01-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #46
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
I trust my detailer, who has done studies on his own. No one said it had an immediate effect, and no, I have no imperical evidence of my own. He has nothing to gain as I don't use him for washes and he knows this. I wash my own. However, if the detergents are strong enough to loosen and remove some of the crap that gets on our cars (bird shit, etc) it makes sense that it would have some effect on your clear over time and use.

You are correct about wash media...which is why I said make sure they are using freshly washed media. Even then, its not 100% just as it may not be in your own home when you do your own wash. But I will take my chances with the occasional surface scratch that can be addressed in a detail then my entire paint finish wearing sooner than expected.

Do what you want, OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine and he is free to listen or not as he feels fit. Its not my car and its not yours.
It's more the spread of misinformation. You had said to the OP that it WILL harm his paint, which factually is not true. Google it and you can see that. While your detailer may be great it doesn't mean he's right 100% of the time and this is one case where he gave you some bad info and you passed it on. Not the end of the world by any means but it's good for people to have the right info.

Dish soap strips wax right off your car, but it doesn't hurt your clear so removal of dirt or wax does not automatically equal harm to clear coat.

Up here in the northeast our cars get coated with salt. The salt is going to do much more harm than a touchless wash.
Appreciate 0