07-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf View Post
I respect your desire to make a change and our society is setup to allow any citizen to lobby for what he/she believes in. Here are my thoughts.

1. This is not a federal issue. Never has been. Never will be. Your barking up the wrong tree here. Constitutionally this is a state issue.

2. Unless you can come up with a really good and valid reason why the state laws should be changed, don't bother. The reason would have to be something like, "every year 100 people needlessly die in state X, due to front mounted license plates."

3. Alternatively and honestly this is your best bet, you need to get a politician to sneak this in a bill somewhere. BUT to do that you would have to grease their pockets and do other illegal things (which I think is a bad idea). The cities and counties make money off this setup and in a big state like mine (Texas) I am sure changing this law would cost the local governments millions of dollars.

4. Here is my practical advice. Save your time and frustration and just set a small amount of money aside for tickets for no front license plate and chalk it up to the cost of doing what you want.
I actually rock my front plates on all my cars... But my intention is to bring awareness to an issue. One being cost, i don't feel like we should pay a fee for a front plate when i buy a new car. I also feel, that front plates cause un necessary bumper damage when careless people parallel park. I personally don't like my license plate screws rusting sealed on my front bumper as well. I feel that police are profiling drivers who don't have a front plate and its only currently a fix a ticket... Not a serious offense because of how trivial it is.

No need to grease pockets. Just get enough social awareness on a topic and laws will change, we just need a starting point. Your right, it is a state ruling... But if we can put federal officials jobs on the line on an issue than guess what... ish only rolls downhill

I am not expecting change over night nor over a couple years... But it can happen. Effort over money can prevail!!!

Other items of concern to me are the following
1) red light cameras/speed cameras
2) automated license plate readers
3) radar/laser guns used in speed enforcement. Police officers should have to earn their money and pace you.
4) window tint laws

I'm tired of living in a formerly "free country". Now we are the United prisons of America. Every behavioral metric about us is being bought/sold and most don't even know it

Last edited by fazman; 07-19-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0