View Single Post
      10-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
The inner joint failing like that (as described earlier in this thread) happens when the rest of the axle moves outwards enough to tear the boot and come out. The boot holds the inner joint together when it is not installed, and when it is installed in the car the suspension geometry holds the inner joint together, not allowing the rest of the axle coming outwards enough to pop out of the inner joint housing and tearing the boot apart.

So with that thought, I would look into what may be causing the suspension geometry go awry and causing this to happen.

One thing to look is engine mounts. If they are worn/torn and letting the engine flop around, since the inner side is on the engine this may cause separation. Although the engine mounts on these cars seems to be pretty good.

Then look at the rest of the suspension. Are the shocks replaced? If so installed correctly at the spindle? Any ball joint's bushings worn out to allows excessive outward travel of the suspension?
Passenger mount mount fails within 100k on every E9x I have seen. It's more common on 335s since they have more power but the N52/1 models suffer from this too. Most of the time, you can't tell unless the subframe is down. That's the only reason I knew my mount was bad...while the subframe was down for oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0