View Single Post
      11-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
I'd actually suggest changing the oil with every fill-up - maybe more often. Oil will change color after about 50 miles so maybe you should change it then.

The engineers at BMW have decided that the proper OCI for North America is about 15-18k miles or once a year.

For Europe, the interval is 30k km or every 3 years.

You decide who you want to believe - the engineers that designed the damn car or some internet junky who was brainwashed by Jiffy Lube?

This is my only post in this thread. There are a zillion threads just as iditic as this one.

BTW - this was not directed at the OP - it was (and is) directed at those people that live in the stone ages and fail to understand that oil and engine technology has changed since Jiffy Lube opened their doors.
^^Tone it down a little...wow ^^

Changing the oil at the approximate half way mark at about 7,500 miles, is the conventional wisdom followed by most that pay attention and educate themselves about such things. The additive package has been shown to get used up at around 10,000 miles or sooner. BMW 5w-30 is good oil, just change it mid cycle. Also, it is true that you should change it at a minimum of 1x per year (if this occurs before you hit the 15,000-20,000 mile mark) and this should be included in your BMW maintenance. If the dealer is denying this, I would find another dealer.

I would also suggest learning to DIY. It is really very easy. You will save money and you will know it was done correctly and not feel ripped off.