Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
The only thing I would use ISTA for would be to bleed the ABS system.

Other than that, I follow the Bentley Repair Guide to do doing an old fashioned 2 person bleed. It's never failed me in 12 years of ownership.

* you will need 3-4, twelve oz. bottles of Dot 4 brake fluid.

To do this you :

1) one person in the cabin
2) one person on the caliber

Order PR, DR, PF, DF

Person on the caliper says "open" simultaneously opening the bleed screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Upon hearing the word "open", the person in the cabin pumps the brakes all the way down to the floor 10x. On the 10th time, he/she holds the brake pedal down to the floor and says "holding"

Person on the caliper upon hearing the word "holding" closes the bleed screw & says "closed"

The person in the cabin releases the brake pedal, upon hearing the word "closed"

You do this 2-3x per caliper.

** The person on the caliper refills the Master Cylinder each time and then moves to the next Caliper after 2-3x (you should not see any air bubbles come out of the bleed screw and you should see fresh fluid).

Do this for every caliper.

Once you get to the front, the brake pedal should start to feel firmer. Your legs will get a small workout when doing the front calipers.
Thank you.
Yes, that is the typical bleeding process and I've used that before I got my Motive bleeder. With the Motive bleeder I don't need to bug my wife (100 bonus points around here! haha).
The bleeder always worked well for me. I have done a complete caliper rebuild and upgrade on our (now gone) 2005 Audi A4. Worked beautifully. Firm pedal, no issues after single bleed. I've bled clutches etc.
After this upgrade, the top of the pedal feels soft and I've read everywhere that DSC bleed is needed, so here I am.
Yep, use ISTA D to bleed the ABS. I've done it, and it works very well.
Appreciate 0