03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #1840
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Mileage? “If BMWs aren’t leaking oil, they’re eating it”. The N54 is no different, in fact it’s probably one of the hungrier motors out there. Any number of things could be causing your oil loss, the most likely culprit is probably the oil filter housing gasket. Also, your turbo seals could be on the way out, not to mention the poor OE pcv valve that blows by oil on occasion. The OFHG is a $15 part that dealers will charge a ton on labor for, there are some DIYs if you’re inclined to do it on your own. The PCV valve is a pretty simple DIY, as is an oil catch can. In the next few weeks I’ll probably get an OCC for my car. My car def. blows by oil and burns a bit off when coming to a stop, but I’ve never had to top off oil before a change, and shockingly the last time the undertray was off there was zero evidence of oil leaking, which frankly surprised me. These are some leaky boats, just the nature of the motor for whatever reason.
I don't even know where to begin with what to do next lol. I thought of the turbo seals....but apparently it isn't uncommon for this car to use a quart of oil every ~1500 miles. So I don't know . I guess something will happen when it happens. Currently at 38,6xx
Appreciate 0