View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #22
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshandonay View Post
I ran it for a very short time without the balancer on and with very few revs.

I'm curious....does your engine sound like mine in the video with the knock? I've never owned a diesel before and have no reference on what these motors *should* sound like.

I'm going to have a hard time waiting for the oil analysis to come back.
I believe I have a similar knock sound at idle, there are so many things that can make a rotating noise like that, especially from the valve train. It can only be heard with the hood open and my ear near the passenger side of the engine. When I rev the engine it does not louder, if anything it goes away. If you had a rod knock, when you rev the engine, you would know it. Not that it matters I have 110K miles on the car.

I had a 540iT for many years. That engine also had a dull knock at idle. Someone else traced it down to something in the Vanos system and rebuilding their vanos eliminate the knock, for a while, only to have it return. I drove the car with the idle knock from 60K miles to 150K miles and other than being annoying, had zero impact on the operation of the car. Someone else is driving it today and to my knowledge, still no issues.
Appreciate 0