matt33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan/2001 Z3 2.5i

Oil Filter Cap Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio View Post
Awesome Blossom!!!!
Saved myself labor charges on my first out of warranty oil change for my 2006 E90!! BMW got smart and replaced the 27mm bolt for the oil filter and made the whole cap the top huh...bastards! Turnermotor sports has a tool to remove this for $26: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...lter-tool.aspx, anyone else sell it cheaper? Luckily I had a strap wrench, but how do you know how tight to close the oil filter top? I guess as long as there is no oil leaking from there then I'm good?
My 2011 came with a green mark on the side of the filter housing closest to the engine that crosses from the cap to the housing. I use the strap wrench to tighten until the mark on the cap lines back up with the housing. My mark appears to have been hand placed by a meticulous German, so no reason you can't put one on yourself or use blue painters tape each time if you don't want anything permanent.

You'll know if you went to tight next time you change the oil if it doesn't come off. You'll know it's too loose if oil blows out the front of your hood the first time you go up a steep hill with a warm engine.

And a big thanks to DimSum for the how to!
Appreciate 0