View Single Post
      07-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
JWT4700
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Xdrive sedan

N51 Rod Bearings

Hey All, 09 328i Xdrive with the N51. i had a few posts in the past about this. the car has finally sat long enough and i plan on starting on replacing the rod bearings. long story short, first engine ate a belt, almost exactly 1 year later it gave up and lost oil pressure completely. had an indy shop put a used engine in it, presumably from a 2011 with 60k miles. noticed an engine rattle a few months late. then lost power brakes. the vacuum pump exploded inside and locked up, even broke the bolt that holds the gear to the front of the pump! i replaced the vacuum pump. still had a rattle. replaced everything known to make a rattle noise on the N51. valvetronic motor, both DISAs, chain tensioner, Vanos Solenoids, and a few other things. finally at the next oil change i found the rattle... extremely high copper. my guess is rod bearings. the rattle is coming from bottom of engine - could never pin point the noise with the stethoscope, didnt like trying to make rattle just to listen. ill attach the oil sample and the vac pump failure.
im a little confused on the actual rod bearings. ISTA/NewTis says to check the stamped codes on the crank to get the bearing color. but RealOEM is showing me a part number for the red and blue 11247628034-Red and 11247628035-blue. when i put those number into FCP it says they dont fit my selected car. it shows they fit most of the 335's but only fit the 328ix from 2013-2016. ECS also says they dont fit and to contact them. searching for "Rod Bearings" on FCP it does bring up BMW Rod Bearing Set - Kolbenschmidt 11247576714. this is a set of 12 matching bearings. can someone help me figure out what bearings i actually need?

on another note, for the project i have that i need the 12 con rod bolts, oil pan bolt set and oil pan gasket. is there anything else i missed?
provided the crank isnt shot i do intend on also doing the oil pump, along with the bolts and motor mounts.
I did put an oil pressure gauge on it the other day. 78psi on start up and after about 2 mins it dropped to 48psi. so tit still has descent oil pressure - hopefully its salvageable lol.

sorry for the long post, i do appreciate any help!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oil Sample.pdf (32.2 KB, 58 views)