View Single Post
      07-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #1287
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Update on my turbo replacement:

So, following my brand new replacement turbos still having wastegate rattle, I took it back to the dealership and dealt directly with the shop foreman. As would be my luck, it's hard to reproduce outside of a cold start, and during the drive with the foreman, the only two times I reproduced it, the foreman couldn't hear it. Of course.

As I was leaving, however, it did it. I stopped the car in the middle of their lot (blocked some cars, whoops), left it running, and sprinted back to grab the foreman. He thought it was a shield at first and held it in place with a screwdriver, nope. Had me rev it a few more times and get this:

The brand new outer bank turbo they got from BMW is rattling and appears to be bad! How's that for quality control?

So I've got an appointment in two weeks to bring the car back again and leave it for a few days, possibly for another turbo replacement. Sheesh.

On the upside of all this is that the shop foreman, service advisor, and service manager all seemed to be pretty good guys and all eager to help, so that's good.