Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
A couple of other things to consider.
US warranty is much better than Canadian
US speedometer is in both metric and US measurements
Much better selection at US dealers
US dealers actually want to sell you a car

With todays exchange rate, the savings are not as good as they were when we bought our car, but you can still save some money, and if you buy a Bimmer made in their Carolina plant, there is no import duty. Because there is no BMW factory in Canada, the low dollar has pushed the Canadian prices up.
Do you have anything to back up your statements? The second half of your post especially sounds like a bunch of generalizations.

The first one about Warranty for one, is wrong. The warranty is the same. It just transfers. I think you're confusing it with the free service during the warranty period, where down there they include brake pads and rotors, plus something else. But if you buy a US car under warranty, and bring it up here, the free service isn't going to transfer. So one less advantage that you should count if you are going to buy a CDN car within warranty - the free service.

As far as the car itself, did you actually look up a US car's price that was built in Germany, multiply it by 1.25 (1.30 is more like it - good luck buying it at spot, the rate Bank of Canada does), add 6% duty, and import fees, recall letter, etc. and see if and how much you're saving? Would love to see a real life example.

And try the same with an X3? A 2015 X3 35 is $46,000 US. Add 1.25 even on that, not 1.30 exchange. You arrive at $57,500. The CDN one is $49,000. Explain to me how you're saving $? That's already 15% higher. I'm not suggesting you'd buy a new one down there, but this is just for comparative purposes, since both cars will depreciate about the same in both countries.

Oh, and when doing comparing, make sure you compare apples to apples, because a lot of times, our cars up here have more options and packages (like cold weather package) included in "base" whereas you have to add them down there.
Appreciate 1