07-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
MrCairo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14
Sunday I changed my oil. I put 6.5L in. Today I forgot my wallet on my workbench and ran out of my car to get it, left it on. I got out and noticed my car was ticking like a diesel. I checked the oil level and it read half. I turned off the car and added the last .5L of oil in. Turned the car back on and it was still ticking. Checked the oil and it still read half. Wtf.

How many liters of oil does the N52 take?

The ticking went away after about 2 miles.

I used Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

After an oil change generally it takes the oil pump a short while to get the pressure up into the lifters. If you run it for two-three minutes the noise should stop. If not, check the oil level again. A little lifter noise at idle is not going to hurt your engine if it's just for a shirt while. Beyond that, like the other posters have mentioned, just verify that the oil filter is installed properly and that the oil pan plug is actually in (yes, I've heard of shops even forgetting this very important part).