02-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3
I would like to get some advice regarding how often I should change the oil on my N54. I am the first owner of the car purchased March 1, 2009. I have only averaged 5,000 miles per year as the car is about to hit 25,000 miles. Since I plan to keep this car for a very long time I have been doing oil changes every 6 months (1 free and 1 out of pocket). However, now that my car has been out of warranty I am reconsidering whether it makes sense for me to pay for two oil changes per year.

My last oil change was 8/8/13 and I had 22,945 miles on the car. As of today I have just under 25,000 miles. I do have a coupon to get my oil changed at the dealer for a very reasonable price so I am inclined to change the oil. Do you think it would be a complete waste?

When I drive the car it is unfortunately usually for short commutes and lots of stop and go traffic. I also have been tuned for the past 1.5 years. Any advice would be appreciated on how often you would change the oil on an N54 that only gets driven about 5k per year. Also should I look into changing my transmission/diff oil and/or spark plugs? Any must change items on a 5 year old car but one with only 25k miles? Thank you!
Your car hasn't been through much really. Since you do such little driving, the regular BMW OCI is enough for you. Follow your CBS for maintenance and you should be good.

The differential and transmission wouldn't need a flush until around the 80-100km mark.

Speed Good.