View Single Post
      08-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #289
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiszka2000 View Post
I have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 purchased in the spring of 2003. Can I use it?
Sal Zaino has said before that Z2/Z5 optimal shelf life is 5 years. You're on 6 right now. I'd go ahead and use the stuff you have now anyway. Should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fai View Post
Thank you for an excellent guide! I'm making my list before I go to CT and go products shopping as I'm reading this! This is an awesome guide, thank you again!

One question though, I checked CT website and I noticed that there's a lot of mother's product listed there. You mentioned in your guide to get a large jug of Mothers California Gold wash for the car wash. Which one is it? >> Link <<

Any good car wash will do the trick. Now CT also carries the big jugs of Meguiars gold Class car wash. Very nice stuff. I recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthibodeau View Post
I've read this amazing thread from front to back and have learned soo much. Thank you!

The one topic that I didn't see in this thread, however, is regarding where you should wash the car. I know in Calgary, you can't wash anything down the sewer, so washing in the driveway with all of the soap and products used for tire cleaning, etc. could result in a hefty fine if someone decided to report it (not to mention that I'd like to be environmentally friendly).

Where would you recommend washing if the driveway isn't an option?

Thanks.
Good question. To be honest, we don't have that problem here in Toronto, so I've never thought about it. You may want to wash your car at a coin operated car wash place. Just bring your own soap, mitts, and buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3me View Post
Although I am 19, I have been detailing cars for dealerships and private parties for years. If a car does need wheel cleaner, could you not just use the extra car soap from the initial wash of the paint to clean the wells? a whole other little bucket of soap seems a little wasteful. Just a thought ha because that is what i do. Maybe i am just too lazy
Yes, you could. But there are problems with doing this:

1. Wheels are painted just like the paint on a car. Using nasty leftover dirty water from washing the paint will most likely scratch the finish on the wheels. Not a good thing.

2. Forgetting about point #1 all together, it's always better to wash the wheels first, then the car after. When washing wheels last, you run the risk of getting dirt onto your clean paint when rinsing off the dirty wheels.

Now, in terms of using a wash soap instead of a dedicated wheel cleaner, I agree with you. Use wheel cleaners sparingly and only if necessary. If you keep on top of your wheels, then car wash soap should be enough to clean them.

To all, my apologies the lack of response in this thread. It appears I have stopped receiving email notifications from the forum. In addition, I don't visit too often anymore.
Appreciate 0