View Single Post
      04-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #701
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The new GUI and high definition screen is simply better than the old iDrive, the rest of the features (HDD, DVD player, HD Radio) is frosting. So for somebody that wants to upgrade from an OEM HU this is more than worth it.

As an iDrive swap it is not worth it if the Navigation is not enabled, because a lot of really useful features -current and future- will be missing as well as the maps as they are directly linked to that activation. Voice Control is not a biggie, as BMW has not implemented the new Nuance system yet so there's no loss here.

There is a solution to enabling the maps, unfortunately it is not fully available in the USA. But the reason I did the swap was to test such solution in the USA somehow, so I would say that the swap is worth to me.
hmmm...I'd be coming from no navi at all...maybe if I can find a cheap CiC and screen i'd pull the trigger on this. Do you have have Assist? When I was ripping the FZD out of an o6 330i I noticed it had two MIC's in the FZD...I'm assuming one was for the navi and one was for the Assist. I dont know if this is true with the new CIC. I had to physically pull out pins and swap them around to get the MIC to work with my retrofitted Assist. I want to make sure if I do this retrofit with the CIC Nav that I still have "voice" control for my bluetooth phone calling and Assist.
Appreciate 0