View Single Post
      02-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
omadab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328 xDrive E92 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
leakdown test is really the go-to test to see if your valves are sealing properly.

IM GUESSING that the process to check your timing is to put the flywheel at TDC (there's probably a mark on the flywheel you look at through a peep-hole in the transmission bellhousing)

Then once the flywheel is at TDC on the correct stroke, you check to make sure that the cams are in the correct position, I'm pretty sure there are flats on the cam somewhere that are supposed to be perpendicular to the valve cover deck when the crank is at TDC.

VANOS complicates things, I don't know how the vanos adjustment modules on the front of each camshaft factor into the equation. I'm guessing that the vanos modules are installed and toqued down at the "full retard" position, then oil pressure advances the valve timing from there.

I've never done this on the N52, i'm just taking educated guesses based on timing ive done on other engines so i could very well be wrong.

My best guess is that since your engine still runs and there doesnt look like there is piston-valve contact, your timing probably just shifted a little bit and needs to be reset. Figuring out how or where it slipped is probably impossible so just redoing the entire timing process is probably your best bet. Basically if youve never done it before, to summarize the process in 1 sentence, you just have to position the crank and both cams at the proper position relative to each other, then lock it down in that position with the various bolts that secure the timing chain sprockets.

You could buy a timing chain if you felt like it for peace of mind, I'm not so sure its damaged though. I'm not sure what the factor of safety on a timing chain is, lol. So I'm not sure if theyre easily damaged by a sudden change in engine RPM.
I've looked up how to do the timing. Seems very simple. 150$ kit. But my dad doesn't trust me to do it myself XD so I'll have to find a mechanic that is willing to come over and do it 😂😂

I'll be changing the eccentric shaft sensor also. I broke the clips on it anyway haha
Appreciate 0