11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Yeah, I don't know what it is about that GM transmission pan that makes that bolt seize so often. I have that in my E91 in the ZF transmission in my E60. Any other car that I've ever had with a metal drain pan hasn't had the same problems as the GM in BMWs to include other GMs. I'm also surprised at how for years that was produced in e90s, and yet there aren't any suppliers that offer the drain pan at a cheaper price than genuine because that would be the way to go.

On a side note, it's been a few years since I changed the fluid, so I can't really remember if I did it, but it probably would be a good idea to coat the threads of a new bolt with anti-seize.
There is a generic part available for the GM tranny drain that is steel and less likely to strip (ie is a normal bolt instead of an hex key). No solution for the fill though and I'm in the same boat. If you can estimate correctly, the dip stick plug sits along the top edge by the exhaust (passenger side). It's a two-stage pull plug (in a strange way sorta like your trunk interior plugs) but comes out pretty easy - I had to fill there in a pinch.
Appreciate 0