BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
My post was not directed at anyone in particular.

I just read your edit. That is exactly what I was saying - it is not necessary to doubleclutch a street car. You can hold the clutch in and blip to match revs and then let the clutch out. I got in the habit of double clutching and did it in my (previous) street car. It was not really necessary but it kept me in practice and I got to play race car driver. .
On a car with synchros you can shift smoothly without using the clutch at all. You can let off the accelerator and shift into neutral without the clutch. If you gently push the shifter towared the next geat when the revs match the tranny will pop into gear. This is easier on an upshift than a downshit because you don't have to blip while in neutral, I don't necessarily recommend trying this because if you don't get it right you will get a horrible grinding of gears.

I have the OEM aluminum pedals. It seems that they would make heel and toe easier to do - but since my 335 is a Steptronic I am speculating.

ca

CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
true.. u wanna kill ur clutch vs. u wanna kill ur synchros... iono.. im not convinced either way still. i dont find either answers convincing to be honest.

i guess i need to see these vid's i have been posting and read up more on that to understand what each component is doing exactly...
Mantis, keep in mind that the clutch IS a wear item. Under normal driving it still wears, just at a much slower rate than if you didn't know how to drive properly. So, don't sweat it, and just drive. After a few weeks you will be able to just feel what's going on and know when you didn't match your revvs correctly. It takes a lot of bad driving to melt out your clutch or destroy your transmission.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0