View Single Post
      11-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #162
ssric3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

One more success story

It works. Dang it, I was skeptical of the soldering step but with nothing to loose, I tried putting the soldering iron where the last step described. And dang it, it worked!

I already tried disassembling the disk and cleaning it up with isopropyl alcohol, and cleaning the sensor. Assembled all back but got the codes. Bought a Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner and read the live data. It was definitely the steering sensor, since the angle reading changed when the steering wheel was moved slightly in any direction but once more steering angle was created the value increased rapidly and froze. So there I gave up and started thinking of getting a new unit.

Today, with time to spare, I decided to give it one last try and go through all the steps. I took my 20 year old soldering iron from retirement and used it on the solder joints it mentioned (Sensor, IR LED, Ribbon Cable terminals). One thing: I did notice one of the ribbon cables had some of its contacts with a dull shine (dirty). I cleaned them just in case. And I cleaned the disk one more time and made sure its surface was clean (used a light check for stains on the surface). Assembled everything back, got my scanner and read the live data of the steering sensor. This time it was returning values as I turned the wheel to either side! It was working! Re-calibrated the steering sensor and the 3 codes disappeared. After months of putting it off, my car is code-free again. Thank you OP!
Appreciate 0