View Single Post
      08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
dmorga1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

long standing issue

I've commented on this elsewhere, but it is a known issue (my SA at the time was quite familiar with it). It is not the rotors, it's not the pads. It's the actual caliper dragging after releasing the brakes. It's not a wear sensor, it's just a partially applied brake (I assume the squealing is from the pad not being put down flat at that low level of application). It is annoying as hell. Mine has diminished to near gone after replacing pads and rotors (dealer did it under warranty at the time), but a lot of it was just the pad wearing down and seating better, I think.

It's not a BMW thing as far as I know--it is an E90 thing for sure, though. Some people have pointed to the hill hold feature, but I don't think it's that because this happens often when applying the brake to slow down, say at a speed bump, and releasing. The hill hold feature was never engaged in these circumstances.

It might get better with aftermarket pads and rotors if the tolerances were somehow significantly different, but calipers might need to be part of the equation. I've never thought it worth the $$$, though.
Appreciate 0