04-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #30
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
I'm absolutely insane for getting into this discussion, but...I need a distraction today (it's raining, my tune is in , and I've been driving all morning) and, other than working out, thinking about modding cars is the healthiest.

First of all, let me get this straight - our choices of combinations when it comes to headers are:

1) Catless headers (e.g. AA), retaining the secondaries
2) Catless headers, removing the secondaries
3) Catted headers (e.g. AFE), retaining the secondaries
4) Catted headers, removing the secondaries.
Honestly, IMHO - it just depends on your purpose of the car. If youre trying to extract every single pony, then ideally the most straight pipe would be ideal. Header back with a nice straight pipe towards the end or side of the fenders. Again, in my humble opinion based only on my random thoughts and logic. I just wanted a better flow, louder sound and a nice crackle and pop, which I was able to accomplish without compromising any emissions issues or future headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

Now if you swapped the 2nd cats for a y merge, then you would be on to something. Otherwise, replacing them with straight pipie won't make a lot of difference.
Speak more of this, would you? Does the Y pipe allow better flow? Any information/pics? Purdy please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
If you are "welling" me, I gave it the old college try; in that I had everything disconnected and removed....
Yeah, it's a real PITA. I did not even bother trying. I knew I'd just curse the time and pound my head against the wall. I hope you get it done at a good price. Again, it should be around 5 hours shop time.