View Single Post
      07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #25
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MULA_1 View Post
You really can't compare the take rate of a manual vs DCT when the DCT costs $3k more!

To truly gauge the take rate they'd both need to be the same price. I'm willing to bet that if they're both the same price, that the take rate of the manuals would drop by more than 60%
I'd disagree.

I don't think there are a lot of customers purchasing a brand new M car for $60/$70/80K who chose the manual solely to save $3000.

Most people who chose the DCT probably choose it because it is faster, more technologically advanced, is better on the track, and still maintains a bit of the "manual" aura.

I'm basing this on personal experience from few people who love manual transmissions, but chose the DCT because they viewed it as a state-of-the-art modern manual transmission per say. Heck, I'm a die hard manual fan and almost chose the DCT for that very reason.

However speaking with them & myself, if it was simply Automatic vs. Manual it would be a no brainer choice —> Manual FTW!

For this reason in my opinion if the next G series M cars come with the choice between the ZF automatic and manual for the same price (without the DCT option at all), then I think the take rates on manuals may actually increase!
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2049.50
RowanBuds1707.00