01-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Alright so after some checking, it does seem like the OFHG is leaking from a small spot from the bottom, i also checked the external headbolt that sits right behind it seems to be intact. but im still worried about the internal headbolts. while there is no oil leak below the valve cover gasket, there seems to be oil seepage by the head gasket area right below the exhaust manifold. I tried to take a picture of it using a mirror, i hope you guys can see it.

Oil seepage around the headgasket area does that mean broken headbolts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
VCG (valve cover gasket) most likely one to leak. Also, Oil filter and pan gasket as well. I need to replace mine as well. Mine has a broken bolt, you may want to check yours as well.
just checked all the valve cover bolts, none seems to be broken thank goodness. what bolt is broken on your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Due to the fact you smelled burning oil I would suspect the valve cover gasket or valvetronic motor gasket because that’s the only place oil would leak down onto the headers and get burned.

But oil all over the alternator, intake tube, and oil filter housing sounds to me like a oil filter housing leak which drips onto the serpentine belt and then gets splashed everywhere on the drivers side of the engine by the moving belt.

Oil filter housing gasket is an easy 1 hour DIY. Valve cover and Valvetronic motor gaskets go hand in hand to replace and are a tougher 3-4 hour DIY. Make sure you replace the serpentine belt when you fix the leaks cause oil on it is something that’s going to lead to a catastrophic engine failure when the belt goes.

*edit: Also when did you last get your oil changed? Is your oil filter cap on tight?
thanks for the tip!! i couldnt find any leaks around the valvetronic motor or around the valve cover, but your right it does look like my OFHG is leaking. i just changed that belt too!! looks like ill have to change it again. I did my last oil change in nov/18 and yes i checked the oil filter cap its tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
First thing you have to check if your oil filter cap is leaking. It has pressurized oil and the o-ring that seals the cap if not placed at the correct groove or rode up from its grove during tightening the cap will leak a lot of oil spraying around in a short time. You should not see the o-ring seal when the cap is tightened, it should be completely inside pushing against the inside wall of the housing and the cap.
thanks for the tip, i just checked it seems nice and tight. also checked the oil filter rubber ring. nothing seems out of the ordinary but im going to do an oil change anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Also I bet your CCV system is plugged up. the 3 liter version of the N52 normally doesn't burn a lot of oil (in my experience anyway). I don't think the 2006 with the metal valve cover is as prone to valve cover gasket leaks either.
i just replaced the ccv with new hoses, i found out recently the rings are bad on cyl 5+6 so i have to add 1 quart of oil every month https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533914 still puts a smile on my face when i floor it though and still traps 97-99mph so

but your right i checked my vcg doesnt seem to be leaking thank goodness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0