10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzeit View Post
The factory fluid reservoir cap on my car had the green CHF11S sticker. It was partially peeling off so I removed it.

That is correct, some cars are ATF others are CHF11S. It does partially depend on options, production date, and apparently there is some random luck to which cars have ATF vs. CHF.
Nope. All E9X are CHF-11S. There is no "random" luck about it; it would be a factory assembly line nightmare to have the same production models assembled "randomly" with different power steering fluid requirements.

It is simply that BMW stupidly relies on the green sticker to remain affixed to the power steering reservoir cap. The cap plastic is embossed with ATF underneath the green sticker because BMW uses the same PS reservoir for models dating back to the 1980's, which do use ATF for the power steering fluid. BMW decided not to produce a distinct PS reservoir cap that was embossed with "CHF-11S Only".

The actual problem is the PS reservoir cap has a thin o-ring that flattens over time and allows fluid to creep past the cap seal. The oil works its way under the green sticker and eventually degrades the adhesive and the sticker falls off. BMW sells a replacement green sticker. Over the past 30 years I've had four BMWs, all which use the same PS reservoir and everyone of them has developed a seal leak at the reservoir cap that is cured by replacing the o-ring.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0