Thread: 2E85 fault code
View Single Post
      11-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Looks like to me the ECU is unable to communicate with the water pump, so the pump is running in a default mode at a constant speed to prevent the engine from overheating, which is why the coolant temperature is too low. This would be an unusual malfunction of the control electronics, that to my recollection no one has previously reported, but it is a reasonable assumption that the pump would be engineered in such a manner.

I think the pump codes are pretty accurate. When I first discovered there were water pump trouble codes in May of 2011, code 2E81 was specific as to the exact mileage the pump had trouble and the the exact amount of deviation the pump speed was off from the maximum of 250 RPM.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-24-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0