View Single Post
      08-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #219
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
I didn't get it from Avin, because there didn't seem to be an apparent point. All they do, I gather, is rebox the same unit I got off Aliexpress. The aliexpress one was less expensive.

The only reason I'd consider buying from someone like Avin is the presumption that they are based out of north america and for some reason that means they provided a better level of customer support than an aliexpress vendor.

However the sounds of it on the forums is the customer service from Avin isn't good at all. My few interactions with them over email backs that up.

So given that I'm going to get poor support no matter what, I decided go the route which would save me $100 or so.

p.s. FWIW the unit itself works as well as an unofficial android unit should. Integrates with the car as expected (idrive controller, steering wheel, camera with dynamic lines, an idrive-like interface etc). It has its quirks as expected, it has its mounting screw hole tolerance issue that everyone is reporting, it has a glossy screen that needs anti glare film. But otherwise the thing is what it's supposed to be.

It's just the fact that my idrive system is a retrofit and the damned emulator required for nav, pdc and cam won't work with the android system connected. Some conflict over canbus. And losing these functions from idrive isn't an option for me.

BTW apple carplay is seriously good even without idrive controller support.
Oh that's still expensive then. The unit was going for $360ish last I checked on AliExpress
Appreciate 0