View Single Post
      12-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #21
deltafivenine
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Competition, LC100

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltafivenine View Post
So, last weekend I was headed to an autoX, put a tub of stuff for autoX in the trunk and suddenly I'm having bluetooth issues again. This made me start questioning if it was wiring/connector related and the weight of the tub made something move a bit and was why I was having issues. The issues persisted for a few days, and when I got the chance to take a look the front MOST diagnostics port was dim again. I had purchased a fiber loop after I initially started having problems, so I stuck it in there in place of the combox and the light was bright again. I fiddle with things a little, trying to make sure it's consistent, and it appeared to be... but then suddenly I start getting bright light with the combox connected again after 3-4 times of switching back and forth between the combox and the loop. After that, bluetooth has been flawless again.

At this point I thought it might be the Combox itself, so I went to fiddle a little again and get the P# etc so I could find a suitable replacement if I though it was, but I've discovered what I believe to be the issue. If I move the main connector wiring significantly, or sometimes barely touch it at all, the bluetooth immediately disconnects -> SOS error eventually. If I fiddle with the wiring again, go back to the front of the car I can connect bluetooth again all good. So it appears the problem is in the wiring or the main connector to the Combox.

Anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Is likely the only solution going to be to replace the whole harness for that section? How much work is that gonna end up being?

A note for anyone who stumbles upon this with a similar issue, while doing this I noted some of the nuts holding the Combox down were slightly loose which let the Combox wiggle just a tiny bit. After taking the Combox off to get Part# etc and tightening it down afterwards, I haven't had any issues even while on a trip with friends loading down the trunk heavily. Could be a coincidence, and the fact that such light wiggling of the wires are an issue is unsettling and will probably eventually need some kind of fix but it's good to go for the time being.
Appreciate 0