01-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #39
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Are you sure your conclusion "#1 most dangerous thing on the road is differential of speed" is so simple? If all cars were going the same speed then it would potentially be hazardous to car from the on-ramps or people that need to change lanes to exit. The video even states that Germany is a good example of a country with better motoring but the Autobahn, by no means, has motorists going the same speed. Rather, in Germany, motorists have adopted a common set of laws that require slow drivers to let faster drivers go by on the left.

Also, I have no doubt that some police setup speed traps but in the video it made it seem like it is just common practice just to meet quotas or something. Just because a road seems like people should be able to increase their speed doesn't make it just... other factors could come into play such as frequent wildlife crossing the road (as it could be the case in Vancouver) or multiple country roads connecting to a large road where they may need highway motorists to slow down so they can safely turn and get up to speed.
The law is the same in the US at least in every state that I have driven in. That doesn't mean that people will follow it.

Have you ever driven on the Autobahn? If you have then you will know that you'll be cruising along happily at 120mph or whatever you feel safe doing and then someone will pull out in front of you at the last second doing 60. Usually an enormous cargo truck.

In theory the slow-fast lane system works. Passing vehicles on the left, cruising cars in the middle, exiting cars in the outermost or exit lane. The problem arises when you come up on someone doing 60 in a 70mph zone in the passing lane. Or when someone passes on the right at the speed of light and compromises the drivers who are trying to safely merge in/exit. In those instances differential of speed is what risks lives.

I agree with your second paragraph, however. ALL factors must be considered when setting a speed limit. Wildlife, schools, connecting roads, etc. are important considerations to make.
Appreciate 0