View Single Post
      09-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #693
zazzn
Rep
Drives: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Fans are most effective below 35mph. Once the vehicle passes that speed the ram air effect on the radiator takes over completely, and the fan becomes useless. So, when in stop and go, we could definitely benefit from a more powerful fan, but at the track, it's completely useless.

"Q. Will the electric fans help keep my car cooler at highway speeds?

A. Generally, cooling fans do the most work at idle and speeds up to 35 mph. The faster the vehicle is moving the less important they become. At speeds over 35 mph, the ram air effect is much great than the efforts of the fan. If your car overheats at high speeds, it's probably not the fan."

http://www.a1electric.com/spal/faninfo.htm
Yes I realize electric fans are not supposed to help over a specified speed since they simply don't spin fast enough. Mechanical engine fans flow MUCH more CFM generally which increase the point of where the air resistance is like 60MPH to overtake the fan. Regardless of that, I'm sure the 335 has electric fans, (like most modern cars) the main reason for overheating on the track for a rad I've found is that there isn't enough flow to cool.

You can bandaid this by doing one of the following

-Coolant additives like water wetter or less coolant
-Bigger rad for more heat capacity (usually more efficient as well at excavating heat)
-More air ducts to get more air on the rad
-Stronger electric fans to flow more CFM and evict the air at lower speeds (if I'm not mistaken no one is overheating on the straights but on the tight smaller turns where you are constantly slowing and speeding up)

Realistically, the next easiest thing after the additives would probably be changing to a stronger fan.

Does anyone know how much the stock fans flow? Also has anyone ever tried a push/pull fan setup meaning you have the stock pulling and you have another set pushing on the front (if there is room). Finally do the older engines in the E30 series with a mechanical clutch fan have anyway to be Frankenstein on to a N54? I'm all but sure this would solve the over heating issues on the track.

I guess it just bothers me that BMW... A well respected name on the track has issues like these....

Last edited by zazzn; 09-22-2011 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0