floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
"335d not worth it" LOL

The emissions system, except for the DEF tanks, is made up of components common to almost all US Tier IV Final compliant engines.

There are reported carbon issues. But the emissions components themselves do not appear to be a significant issue. Yes there is a culture of deleting components for the sake of deleting components- but the standardized emission components are now pretty reliable across the industry.

I own a 335d as well as a 328 N52. So far, the 335d requires much less service, is waaaaay faster, and returns 8-10 more MPG across the board.

All things being equal, I'd take a used 335d over any other e90. The problem is, all things are not equal. If you want X-Drive or a manual transmission, the N57 is out.

-Mike
Mike, your experience is not congruent with the experiences detailed in the diesel subforums. You're also wrong about some issues:
1) The 335d has an M57, not N57.
2) The DEF tank costs around $2400, and as you say is not a standard part, and the warranty was extended to 120K/10Y because it broke so much.
3) The SCR cat costs $1200 for the part, again, not a standard part.
4) The DPF/DOC costs $2500 and is not a standard part. Trouble seems to begin somewhere after 125K.
5) The NOx sensors cost $500 each, and the warranty was also extended on them.
6) Many people, including me at 130K, have never had CBU problems.

If you buy a diesel, you expect longevity. The emissions system doesn't have longevity.

It would behoove you to learn what others are experiencing before commenting. Oh, yes. I have kept a log: 131K, $20,404.46. Which includes the cost of the NOx sensors (actually replaced twice) and the DEF tank.
Appreciate 0