09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will 335 View Post
So the car starts just fine when cold and when left alone for over an hour. However, it won't start, for example, if I drive to a store and stay for a bit then drive to another store and stay for about half an hour. No crank but all lights and electronics work. I have to leave it there for over an hour for it to barely crank. Can't really figure out why. Also, sometimes on cold start all the ABS and transmission lights will come on. I turn it off then on and they go away and the car runs just fine. Very odd to me. My guess (and hope) is that I just need a new battery but I've heard it could be IBS or my starter. Thanks for looking.
do you have any codes stored in the dme? Id, check that first. Usually you would have a code if your crankshaft sensor or any sensor is bad. If no codes are stored, I'd look into how old is your battery? When was it last changed?

Just me thinking out loudly and I could be wrong. You stated that when your car is cold or left alone, car starts fine. But if you drive (short distance) for instance-store to store, your car has a hard time starting or cranking? you also mentioned that most times, if you let it sit, it starts. I would check my battery. also, when youre having a hard time starting the car, I would check the batteries CCA(cold cranking amps output). Could be that battery is not putting out the full cca=cold cranking amps to start car. Would this make sense, after making all those short trips the cars alternator cant charge the battery to put out enough cranking amps because its to weak???
Im curious to know what was the problem on this. keep us posted.
Appreciate 0