01-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #28
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
When Toyota Mirai was launched, the design caused quite a few eyebrows to be raised. The redesigned 2021 Toyota Mirai looks nothing like its predecessor and for the better. Apparently Toyota listened and appreciated that electric / hybrid / hydrogen powered cars do not have to look visual design experiments conducted by interns.

Based on the latest video of I4 being tested, the vehicle will look like the next generation Gran Coupe - only electrified. I believe BMW is very much aware that transition to EV technology should not be a leap faith for a core customers.

Mercedes? It's unclear what visual design direction has been chosen by its designers. For unknown reasons, EQA has borrowed many contour elements from Balenciaga sneaker (all rights respectfully acknowledged).

PS. VW ID.4 is much more appealing than EQA.
The point is actually that EVs have much less technical constraints imposed on the design. Designers have much more freedom to do their thing. We already know from BMW that this doesn't automatically lead to more beautifull cars, the iX might be a good example. It seems now that the technical constraints they had also contained the ugliness of their designs.
Appreciate 0