02-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #69
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
He was on Rogan the other day and said the chopped steering wheel was the real deal. Joe said he didn't like it because he drives with his wrist over the top of the wheel like us old timers. LOL

Elon didn't have a response past "oh".

He did say they are building them with the thinking that "any human input is an error" as in when you get in your car - it knows where you are going already and starts to navigate you there - if not driving you there hands free. It knows you are in a parking spot, so it knows you need reverse - no need to tell it. When you back up and stop - it knows you need drive then - no need to tell it.

I do like designing a car with that way of thinking anyway.
Functionally I don't see what the chopped wheel does for me. Gets rid of a lot of places to hold onto the wheel? Try to drive your current car with hands only at 3 and 9 o'clock and I think people will find it is really difficult, interested in hearing how this new wheel is better.

Same with the turn stalk next to the wheel, I haven't heard how the new solution is a "better".

The "any human input is an error" sounds like a good idea but I am curious to see how well it works. If there isn't a car in front of me in the parking lot, will it go forward or back or know which one makes more sense in the overall plan of where I am going. Same with backing out of my driveway and which way I go on my street, I always leave the same way even though half the time it is the longer route as one way out is far easier to get out onto the main road. The logic becomes a lot more difficult than just "shortest distance".

Last edited by David70; 02-17-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0