Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 X3M, 15 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I'm on the same boat! I feel the same way as you.

Here's some background info:

I own a 2011 E90 328i RWD Auto, my live in gf owns a 2013 F30 328i x-drive auto. With that being said, it's pretty obvious that I have access to both vehicles regularly and have driven both of them extensively.

I WANT to like the F30 but it's just so hard to. The car is too soft and floaty. It does not feel planted and low slung/road hugging the way my E90 does. I also agree with you that the F30 seating position is too high and awkward, my E90 sits much lower to the ground and you feel more nimble. The hood line on the F30 (from the driver's perspective) is just too high.

The reason I want to "like" an F30 so bad is because there are some things that I like about it. That little turbo 4 cylinder is very quick, much faster than our E90 N52/N51 motors. Throw on a JB Plus or a JB4 and you can go catch some stock 335i guys. The 8 speed auto transmission is fantastic, quick smooth shifts. Gas mileage is way better than our E90 325/328/330. The last thing I like about the F30 is that it's just a little more reliable than our E90 generation of cars. No VCG leak issues, oil pan gasket leaks, water pump/thermo stat failures, etc. Basically all the E90 problems that could leave you stranded on the road, the F30 does not have it.

HOWEVER...I value the driving experience way too much to sell my E90 for an F30. The E90 is JUST THAT GOOD! Maybe the G20 can change my mind, we shall see.

For future reference, you should post this in the general section to get more responses.

Yeah I think you are spot on. I had valve cover leaks and rear window regulator failure on my E90 at about 100k miles. Water pump was good shockingly until the time I traded it with 120K. Those were the only problems I had.

I thought it was just me with the seating position. The E90 has a cockpit. You sit lower in the seat and the car. Felt like I was sitting in an office chair in the F30. I do like the N20 and I've been tuning turbo 4s for about 8 years and getting greedy with boost lol but I know the power ecu tuning even if its just playing with WGDC to improve spool time and response. The ZF 8HP is pretty nice though. I cant complain about that. Drove a 328, X3, and X5 with it and damn it shifts nice.
Appreciate 0