View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

thanks for the feedback, guys....

Blackhawk:
I just happened to look at my manual for weight distribution and weight loads, ect.....your spot on!

approved gross weight: 4,916
load: 1,102
Rear axle load is 2,646

I will definitely look into the tow capacity vs trailer and tongue weight before I get too crazy with this....of course I will not be towing with the trailer often...just a handful of times per year, and maybe a local car show here and there....

I did look into weight distribution of the trailer itself so that there is not too much tongue weight when the trailer is loaded. If I figure the tongue length/axle placement/load area correctly, there should be little direct load on the suspension...however, this does not rule out the actual towing/pulling capacity...that is a separate issue...

This trailer will be stripped of all mechanicals and rear diff...I just need the suspension arms and bearings/hubs/rotors....though now, I will be sure to have the trailer's suspension up to par.....

I will probably begin thinking about lightweight interior materials instead of steel...which I was originally thinking of...maybe light plywood covered in carpeting...if done right, it would look very presentable.

The way I am designing the trailer, most of the weight will be over the trailers axle...I dont think I would be putting more than 300lbs fully loaded in it...that leaves 400 pounds or so...my kids dont weigh that much!...but fully loaded with luggage, a roof rack , ect...I could be approaching maximum density fairly quickly.

This gives me pause...not on building it, but on HOW to build it. Thanks for the heads up.

JP
Appreciate 0