11-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Yes thats a good time. Keep it under 4000 RPM and do mixed driving. (City/HWY). Also change the oil often during this time. Maybe 2-3 times.
After discussing with a few master techs at my dealership when I got my new motor, the general rule of thumb is to be EXTRA careful (avoid anything over 50-60% throttle and revs above 4k) when the engine is cold during the first 1200 miles. Once the motor is warmed up, it is okay to go full throttle, but do it only if necessary, also try to keep the revs low (below 4k at first). Every couple hundred miles, increase the revs a bit (4k limit until 400 miles, then 5k till 800, etc). Once the motor is around 1200 miles, do an oil change and you will be good to go. There isn't really a need to do more than one break-in oil change.

To OP, sorry to hear about the rod bearings. That was what happened to my motor as well, which was replaced by a new one. Do you know if the 3rd party warranty will be using a used/new/reman motor yet?
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1