View Single Post
      09-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Engine suddenly knocking after sitting for 3 months.

I just bought a 2011 335i with N55 engine a couple of hours ago and have not had time to look in the engine yet. According to the guy I bought it from the car ran great until his son let it sit for 3 months when he was out of state. Then when he came back and started it the car now has a very distinctive engine knock. The engine sounds like it needs to be rebuilt and maybe it does. But has anyone heard of this happening before? The only theory I have is that one of the cam phasers slipped on the cam or the camshaft just broke when it was started. Possibly because of the engine sitting for a few months a cam was tight or maybe a lifter got stuck? The former owner said that because the "damage" suddenly appeared when they started it and not while driving it on the street, they thought it was a bad starter, so they put a new starter in trying to fix it. I know that sounds ridiculous, BUT the car came with another starter sitting in the trunk. So that makes me believe that the engine problem really did happen right on start up after sitting for a while. It does start right up but I towed it to my house to avoid causing further damage.

So has any one heard of an engine jumping time or breaking right a cam or something on start up after sitting for a while? I did start it up and with Torque I found misfire codes on cylinders 4, 5, 6 and P045B and P052B which is "Cold start camshaft position timing over retarded BANK 1" for the A+B camshafts.
Appreciate 0