View Single Post
      01-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #19
activereality
Newb to BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe (E92)

Garage List
Alright, got some minor planning done, for the Back-Up camera portion of the install. I have probably over-complicated this, so correct me if I am going overboard haha.

I have ordered and plotted out a camera circuit with the camera, a passive noise filter, and a relay. (attached a quick schematic below). The goal here is to hopefully reduce any possible noise. Since this is a fairly cheap camera (i honestly couldn't really find 'quality' ones without paying OEM pricing, and then still have to splice wires) I want to keep the noise/interference to a minimum.

The plan:
12 VDC from Battery to relay (blue)
Relay Remote/Signal connected to Back up light (White)
Relay black - Ground
Relay Yellow - Filter Blue
Filter Black - Ground
Filter Red - Camera Extension (red)
Camera Extension Black - Ground
Camera Extension - To Camera Plug
Camera Extension - to front of Vehicle *
Camera Extension (at front) Video - to HU Video
Camera Extension (At front) red - HU backup wire - if any (IDK if the N7 has this or not)

The Process planned for now (until I get hit in the face):
Get the N7 Plugged up (basically full install minus button it all back up - post-op check of all N7 functions) and then do a rough install (electrical connections only - no running of wires) of the camera, and ensure that:
A - it freaking works
B - no crazy interference

When looking up info, I saw some conflicting accounts of people having bad signal (lots of noise/interference). This is why the Relay and the Noise Filter. If (in your experiences) this is overkill- awesome, I'll just go with the relay. If not, well, then I have everything I need.

The routing of the wiring is what I feel will take the longest - for the GPS Antennae, the Mic, and the Camera taking the finish. Doing it this way, in case something goes long/wrong and I don't have time to complete the install - I can break at the camera, after completing everything else. I have read/heard that it is not that bad, but I want to make sure to hide the wires pretty well, as I don't want them being an eyesore. So I'll try and take my time.

Also, looked around for blanking plates for the center armrest, it seems all of them are a single layer plastic with small nubs to retain them in place. I think I would rather use a factory USB/AUX port, and try and modify that to hold the USB 3.0 and new Aux. This is to maintain the integrity of the plate, so the plugs stay in place - so if a plug gets pushed in a bit harder than normal (thinking of stuff stacked on top on accident), it doesn't wear the nubs down and no longer stay in place. I might end up looking at my existing panel and then modify it and just order a new one later on if I need to go back to the factory - no CPO so don't see that being a requirement.

Let me know what I am missing or overlooking. Or, just remind me to DC the battery before starting haha!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Back Up Camera Circuit.pdf (18.5 KB, 85 views)
Appreciate 0