Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
It's kind of funny how amateurs with an internet connection think they can beat a professional whose livelihood depends on beating you at the retail level.

People actually believe that they got KBB in trade on defective motor vehicles, that's a hoot!

I wonder if you took the defective vehicle out of the picture, and offered car max cash, if your selling price would be the same? If so, that's really sad indeed. It's like folks going on the internet and getting an "AMAZING" price. Sure, at the etail or retail level. The retailer who goes to the distributor/wholesaler gets it 45% less than that.
For the most part you are right, but car dealers aren't rocket scientists and they can be just as lazy as anyone. Most likely they figure they'll win most of the time, but not every time. The effort to reduce their risk to zero isn't worth their cost. As a consumer you should know your rights and consumer protection laws because mechanical quirks like these are nothing compared to the numbers of flooded cars that get dumped on the used car market.