02-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #16
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I noticed something interesting tonight after filling up the gas tank and checking my fuel mileage.

Right after I got the car a few years ago I would check the actual fuel mileage against the mileage indicated on the computer. I would typically get 6% to 7% better actual gas mileage than indicated on the computer. Over the past 6 months or so prior to changing the fuel injectors, I was seeing 8% to 10% better MPG than indicated on the computer.

Tonight when I filled up and calculated fuel mileage, actual MPG almost exactly matched the computer indicated fuel mileage (calculated was 24.8 MPG, computer indicated was 25.0 MPG). So what changed?

After I installed the new fuel injectors, I also wrote down the energy and flow rates of the old injectors. Before I coded in the new injectors I verified the values in the computer matched the old injector energy and flow rates.

As stated above, I was getting intermittent lean condition codes on bank 2 that were getting more frequent and also started getting lean condition codes on bank 1. What I suspect was happening is that the old injectors were partially clogged and getting worse and they weren't spraying the volume of fuel the computer was assuming and this was not only causing the lean condition, but also affecting the computer MPG calculation.

Just throwing that out there for anyone else having similar symptoms.
Appreciate 0