Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimery View Post
My cable showed up so I gave this a go.

I did the following and achieved success after soldering the pin header to the emulator. I soldered the shortest pins into the emulator itself, leaving the longest pins to attach to the harness from the car.

Vehicle: 2007 335i w/comfort access. 59k miles

1. Insert key fob into ignition, ELV should unlock. I confirmed the ELV went to the unlocked state with INPA.

2. Open trunk.

3. Remove negative terminal from battery.

4. Remove steering column shroud per step 7 of the OP DIY. I did not remove airbag or steering wheel.

5. Remove three screws from lower kick panel and pull down and out of the way.

6. Locate steering lock connector and unplug (Step 15 of OP DIY). I did this by feeling for the connector and being sure to press down on the underside of the connector as i removed it with as even pressure as possible. Tight area to reach into.

7. Black steering lock connector has numbers 1-4 printed onto it. Match wire 1 to the number "1" pin printed on the emulator for proper orientation and attach. The pin header that was included with mine fit very snug. I then wrapped the emulator in a small ESD bag and tucked it away. I will likely purchase a small enclosure for the unit at some point from somewhere like polycase.com.

8. Reattach battery. Remove and reinsert key. I then verified ELV status changing from Locked/Unlocked in INPA as well as a red flash from the emulator when it was being accessed.

9. Started vehicle. The only error code I received was for Active Steering. I turned the steering wheel both directions as far as it would go, then shut down and restarted the car. No codes and everything is working properly. I then put the kick panel and shroud back together.

It's very relieving to not hear the struggling of the ELV anymore. The car works perfect again and in my case, a cable/coding software was not required but was worth it for the peace of mind before the install in case an issue did arise.
When my ELV struggles again, I'll need to look for an E90 ELV emulator to fix it once for all, this solution is economical and final.
Appreciate 0