View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #74
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sChariot View Post
I got their box to send it back today after many nightmare calls to their Indian call centers that offer no help and/or can't understand what I'm saying. Furthermore, they expect me to send my laptop in for warranty work with the line of "HP is not responsible for your confidential, proprietary or personal information contained in your product"? No way in hell. They are surely aware of identity theft and the various cases of people's personal files being stolen & posted online, etc, right? Yea, I need a waiver from HP stating that none of my personal files will be opened, viewed, copied, moved, etc.
There's no way any company is going to provide you a waiver (in essence a letter of liability) on your data. If you're that concerned about personal files and data, either encrypt the data or don't save them on the local hard drive. I haven't saved any personal files on any local hard drive for the past 10 years. I either use a USB thumb drive or upload them to my NAS. Operating this way promotes good security habits.
Appreciate 0