06-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
I know the current 3 series is nearing the end of its life cycle, but it is kind of amazing to see the Tesla Model 3 outselling the BMW by such a healthy margin. BMW really needs to get their next gen electrics out NOW!
I want to see if Tesla is still around in 5-10 years as a purveyor of electric vehicles.

Besides, their fit and finish is generally horrid in relation to the astronomical amounts of money they ask for those cars. Have you ever seen the gaps of a 1990s Kia? Just take a closer look at any new Tesla product. Is that bad. If the exterior is poorly put together imagine how are the areas hidden from plain sight?

I have driven them extensively and the concept is novel but not there yet. Many strange compromises when it comes to safety in these cars like electric release handles for the front and rear doors in the model 3. And this is not even considering how violent and difficult to extinguish are lithium battery fires, a factor few consider.

When the industry makes an electric vehicle that can be fully charged in 5 minutes of less (The time it currently takes me to fill up the 16 gallon tank in my 530i), then at that point it will be check mate for ICE vehicles. Also a minimum range of 400-500 miles on a single charge is a must.

Give the industry another 10 years to mature the electric car and make it truly a viable option for the masses, not the wealthy 1%.

And given the choice, I would take a BMW electric car every time over a Tesla because the legacy manufacturers at least know how to properly put together a car.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1