View Single Post
      09-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #28
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
If you mean what was I doing, I had to brake very hard from high speed to a stop.
I'm still surprised that this was enough to cause issue. I would have expected you'd need to do that at least twice in quick succession to have any bother...

I occasionally mechanic for a 325i that runs in the V4 class in VLN/NLS/NES races. Regs have them running stock calipers and discs, and only pads are upgraded. They use ATE discs and blue ATE fluid. Can't remember what the pads are, though I think they're pretty special! Anyhow, they never report any fade issues, and I can vouch for how hot the brakes are when they pit! I think they use HEL or goodridge lines, for what it's worth. The point of me mentioning this is that decent fluid is necessary, but nothing space-age. ATE discs are good; no reason to change them. Pads need to be very good, and are the main bit worth investing in. Unfortunately for road cars you have to choose a balance between outright performance and manners (low-temp feel, bite, noise, etc). Lines will help a little with feel, but again are a minor part of the puzzle.
Appreciate 0