02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #64
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
I

A Quaife isn’t a 1 way, 1.5 way or 2 way diff. This classification isn’t used for a non locking torsen (TORque SENsing) helical diff. The Quaife still transfers torque under deceleration.

True for the Quaife, but completely wrong for the OS. One major benefit of a plated LSD such as the OS, is it’s ability to lock-up regardless of grip, no grip, one wheel off the ground etc. This why race cars use them, due to their stiff suspension and anti-roll bars causing low droop and a tendancy to lift wheels over kerbs etc.

F

For a mainly road car, with occasional trackwork where the suspension droop is adequate to not cause a lifted wheel, the Quaife diff is preferable.

If there is any possibility of lifting a wheel a Wavetrac is preferential.

For maximum traction and lock-up and much better adjustability, but will require more maintenance and not fit and forget, the full plated diff such as the OS, is preferable.
Right now I have stock suspension so obviously I have enough flex that both wheels stay on the ground. Anyone know how stiff the BMW performance suspension is? Will I be ok with a Quaife? Is Maintenance the only downside to Wavetrac over Quaife?
Appreciate 0