View Single Post
      01-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335 View Post
I've been looking at WaveTrac LSDs for a potential install in my 335xi but at around $2600 I too would like a little more feedback pertaining to the performance and handling after install. Completely disabling the AWD (fuse, blown transfer case motor, steering angle issues, etc.) would show massive improvement as the car would be true RWD and an open diff can't hold a candle to the performance of an LSD (as I found out last winter when my car decided to go full RWD on me...)
Not sure why it would be a "massive improvement" to go rear wheel drive only.

The only negative I understand is the weight penalty of the XDrive. There is obviously no limit on how far you go modifying the car (apparently you can't lower the car too low in the front). There is no other reason other than weight that will prevent you from going around a track faster than a RWD if the car is properly setup (you may not be interested in going around a track…). Some of the fastest production sports cars in the world are AWD.

My theory is that an LSD would yield great benefits at the upper limits of the car but probably less so for a daily driver.

If you were to go rear wheel drive, I think the only way to see real benefit with this platform is to remove the XDrive system to achieve the weight reduction and even then , you'll probably have to address the suspension…

But I also have to say, I hear there are plenty of cars on the track that do quite well with an open diff, although could they do better ? Probably. The faster you go, the more benefits you will experience. BTW, I love the XDrive, particularly in high speed turns and in weather. I have no plans to track the car.
Appreciate 0