View Single Post
      03-16-2017, 11:11 PM   #31
The Spoon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Great DIY...I think my car is starting to make a similar sound but only right after a cold start...then it goes away. Figure I should start sourcing tools and parts. WRT the timig tool set...is there one you recommend? I found an EWK set on Amazon for ~$200 and a KTC with an included tensioner tool for ~$400. Any idea if the KTC is really worth the extra coin? Thx.
I believe if it goes away once the engine is warm, it's normal; especially during the colder seasons. The EWK set I'm seeing looks very similar to the one I got off eBay--probably from the same supplier. I'd wager you'd probably be able to find the exact same set for dirt cheap off aliexpress if you're adventurous. If you go with that one you'll likely run into the same issues I had (having to sand down the locking pin and taking some extra time to match up the bolt holes on the camshaft lock), which really wasn't that big of a deal in hindsight. I also found a page in the service manual noting that the locking pin may require sanding, so apparently that's a thing.

Looks like the KTC set also covers the N55, so if that isn't within the scope of foreseeable labor in the future, I think it's worth the extra savings to go with the cheaper set. Ultimately, it comes down to your willingness to deal with potential hangups during the job. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
AndyW672.00