Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
I've looked around on the forums at the "meaty tire(s)" threads but looking to see pictures of E91s specifically with meaty tire setups. I'm really wondering what is the largest sidewall setup we can run (RWD and xDrive/AWD specific)? And/or what is the meatiest sidewall and width fitment we can run?

I'm thinking of switched to a smaller wheel and fat tires! And maybe even 'lift' my E91

Here's a "meaty tire" setup (although it's only "meaty" in comparison with the current trend of hyper skinny tires mounted on very large wheels). This is RWD. My last E91 was XDrive.

Tires: Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position (terrific street tire for striking a balance of handling, ride and noise) in 255/40/17 square (same size front and rear).

Rims: Apex ARC-8 17 x 9 ET:30

Functionally, I love this setup. The 40 aspect ratio helps preserve the suspension on Seattle's Developing Nation quality streets, while having more performance than one can responsibly use on public roads. The 17 x 9 rims weigh only 16.5 lbs. Together, the rims and tires also have the benefit of weighing over 40 lbs less than OEM. This weight savings is all unsprung, so even better.

Warning for XDrive: Remember it's critical to maintain tire diameter front / rear within close tolerances (I think I remember the spec being ~ 1%). This is to preserve the AWD drivetrain from stress resulting from different tire diameters. Do your math especially if running staggered.
Just FYI, the 255/40/17 was an OEM size for the 328i sport package. Rolling OD is the same as the OEM 225/45/17.

I used to run 245/45/17s on my manual wagon, I didn't think it looked that crazy beefy though:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111227.00