10-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I work in the construction industry, but not domestic developments.

Cost shouldn't be your primary concern.

1. How well do you know the builder? Do you have references, personal recommendations etc .. if not get them.

2. How clear is the specification? This is where you are most likely to lose money and fall out. Make sure it's clear and well documented.

3. Are the contractual terms clear? Especially programme. Small builders routinely start new work without finishing off jobs .. which delays work on-site. Make sure you have a clear agreed programme and try not to provide them with any excuse for lateness.

For a single story extension I would reckon on anything between £1000-1500 a sq.m depending on the scope of works, accessibility and design.
Thanks NFS. We started out looking at a conservatory but ran into issues as the house is in a conservation area and the plans were for upvc. Now we are thinking garden room. The company is a company that has done windows and conservatories for years but are branching out into garden rooms, sun rooms, orangeries etc. We would be detailing the specification to the nth degree with them. They've suggested what a payment schedule would be. It would be brick, with slate roof, and mostly glass and wood at the front (hence garden room). They would source it all and project manage using builders that do the footings and brick work for all their conservatories.

It would be around 18-20 sq. metres., with foundations potentially to 2m (our house has quite deep footings) and we were quoted £20k + VAT. When they first met us they quoted £35k (max) but that was with some fancy features (oak beams etc. etc.)

The only thing that concerned me was that he said he didn't like companies that come back for extras, so there would be none, unless they found something incredibly unusual when they were digging.....I think he gave some daft example like an tomb or something That and the fact he seems very keen and virtually said "tell me what spec you want for that price within reason" which made me think he has a decent margin in it. He is keen because they want to move the company in this direction so wants some work to show off (any pictures he has shown us of ideas have not been their work).

He even appears to be looking into how he can offer a 10 year guarantee on it (we were used to that from Conservatory companies).

Thanks guys, advice much appreciated.

What do you do exactly NFS? I've been meaning to ask that for some time!
Appreciate 0