09-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
pb4ugo2bed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Tiago is right - rotation does change the effective length. I experienced this problem with both VRSF down pipes and AR design pipes that I got to replace the VRSF when I was "sure" there was a problem with them.

Loosen up your V-bands and the clamp that holds the midpipes and play around with the positions of both downpipes. In the end I never got the alignment perfect but I got it close enough. No problems with leaking or other issues for 30K miles

BTW, I used Felpro 9547 ($1.99 at Autozone) exhaust gaskets instead of the absurdly overpriced BMW ones ($14@ for Reinz OE at FCPEuro or $23 for the BM OEM 18307553603). The Felpro are very close to the proper dimensions, not perfect but very very close. No problems with leaks.
I'll be trying the rotation technique when I get home from work later on, but since the bolt holes are lined up already I'm concerned I'm not going to gain very much from the process. I'm going to try to keep an open mind and my fingers crossed though! The VRSF pipes came with gaskets so I think I'm ok for those, but I appreciate the tip nonetheless!